Shoalwater Reserve Activity Node
- Major infrastructure projects
An activity node has been opened to enhance the foreshore experience for the local and wider community.
The Shoalwater Reserve Activity Node was the first part of the Safety Bay Shoalwater Revitalisation Master Plan, which provides a vision for the foreshore over the next 20 to 30 years.
The focus of the Shoalwater Activity Node project was to enhance the foreshore experience for the local and wider community, while also aiming to attract more visitors to its unique attributes.
It supports the City's aspirations developed in the City of Rockingham Strategic Community Plan 2019-2029, which includes pursuing tourism, economic development, growth in the community and planning for future generations.
Site layout Project stages photos
In December 2017, Council resolved to commence a master plan project for the foreshore reserve and abutting road reserves generally between Boundary Road, Shoalwater and Warnbro Beach Road, Safety Bay. This was subsequently called the Safety Bay Shoalwater Revitalisation Master Plan.
The adopted ‘Project Purpose’ for the master plan was:
- to develop a strategic vision for the Safety Bay and Shoalwater Foreshore Precinct that gives direction to:
- realising its tourism potential, including marine-based tourism, with a focus on the emerging kitesurfing and windsurfing industry;
- coordinating the existing and future commercial activity within the foreshore;
- maximising community use by enhancing the existing recreational experiences; and
- protecting key environmental and built assets.
Following two rounds of community consultation, one of which established the Design Drivers to inform the content of the master plan, and the other to advertise the draft master plan, Council adopted the master plan in December 2019.
In February 2020 Council adopted the Shoalwater Reserve Activity Node as the first stage of works to be undertaken. The final design of this area is in keeping with the design intent of the master plan with minor modifications.
Shoalwater Reserve Activity Node Progress Video
Before and after of the Shoalwater Reserve Activity Node
Construction tender awarded
End of May 2021
8 September 2021
Arcadia Drive, Shoalwater