Local laws provide local governments with powers to manage issues within their district, which helps meet the specific needs of their community. Local Laws are subsidiary legislation made by local governments under delegated powers from the Local Government Act 1995, Health Act 1911, Cat Act 2011, Dog Act 1976 and various other Acts.
Public Notice of Proposed and Adopted Local Laws
City of Rockingham Fencing Local Law 2020
The City of Rockingham Fencing Local Law 2020 came in to effect on 9 April 2021. It was published in the Government Gazette on 26 March 2021 No. 55.
The purpose of this local law is to provide what constitutes a ‘sufficient fence’ for the purposes of the Dividing Fences Act 1961 and to state the materials to be used and safety measures to be undertaken in relation to some types of fencing. The effect of the local law is that fencing in the district will need to comply with the definition of a ‘sufficient fence’ as stipulated in the local law and its other provisions.
In July 2021 Council resolved to undertake to the Joint Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation that the City:
(1) Within six months, amend the local law to:
(a) Correct the typographical error and other errors in clauses 1.5; 2.6(3)(1) and 6.1.
(b) Delete either clause 2.7(2) or clause 4.1(1)(b)
(c) Ensure the title of the local law reflects the year in which it was made.
(2) Provide clarification about the reference to ‘sufficient fence’ in clause 4.1(1)(b).
(3) Provide information on how the Australian standards can be accessed by residents free of charge.
(Customers can contact the Building Department to request to view Australian Standards relevant to Fencing)
(4) Until the local law is amended, the City will not enforce the local law contrary to undertaking 1.
(5) Ensure all consequential amendments arising from the undertaking will be made.
(6) Where the local law is publicly available by the City, whether in hard copy or electronic form, ensure that it is accompanied by a copy of the undertaking.
The local law and the undertakings can be viewed in the Fencing section below.