Cemeteries and memorials

East Rockingham Pioneer Cemetery

Cemeteries

  • East Rockingham Cemetery was established in 1866 and the first interment was of Joseph Broughton, on 13 October 1867.  The exact location of his plot is not known, however a plaque to commemorate his interment has been placed on the front stone wall of the cemetery in the Anglican A section.

    For the following 60 years, East Rockingham settlers were buried in the cemetery without any records being kept.  In 1929, the Roads Board realised the scope of the problem and with the assistance of the Karrakatta Cemetery Board, long-time local resident John Bell was called upon to assist with the recording of names and locations of persons buried in the cemetery.

    However, a burial register was not started until 1937 and many earlier interments that were not marked with a headstone are unknown.

    In 1993, the cemetery was enlarged and the new area was laid out as lawn sections. Also in 1993, the first niche wall, made of granite, was built and a further four brick niche walls have been constructed since this time.

    In 2007 the name of this cemetery was officially altered to include the word “Pioneer” to better reflect the historical significance of the cemetery to the Rockingham region. On 1 November 2007 an agreement was made with the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board for the undertaking of burials and placing of ashes at East Rockingham Pioneer Cemetery.

    On 30 June 2009 the cemetery was officially closed to the issue of new grants of burial, however existing grants will continue to be honoured in accordance with the East Rockingham Pioneer Cemetery Burial Policy, a copy of which may be viewed at Council policies.

    All enquiries in relation to burials or the placing of ashes should now be directed to the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board. However, horticultural and maintenance issues are still the responsibility of the City of Rockingham.

    A plan of the cemetery providing a location guide of all sections within the cemetery can be downloaded below.

    Additional information is available by contacting us on 9528 0333 or email customer@rockingham.wa.gov.au.

    Location

    Mandurah Road, East Rockingham
  • In 2007 the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board opened the Rockingham Regional Memorial Park, located within Baldivis.  

    This cemetery is still open to the purchase of new Grant of Right of Burial, and all enquiries regarding grants, burials, placement of ashes, or horticultural maintenance should be directed to the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board.

    The Rockingham Regional Memorial Park also has a diverse range of memorials available including:

    • granite memorial seats
    • garden of remembrance
    • reflection walls
    • garden ground niche
    • limestone rockery
    • family trees
    • granite niche walls
    • wooden memorial benches

    Additional information including a map of the Rockingham Regional Memorial Park can be found on the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board website

    Location

    Baldivis Road, Baldivis

Memorials

Waikiki Memorial Wall

The wall is located at Waikiki Foreshore just a few metres south of the Safety Bay Road and Malibu Road intersection. If you wish to register your interest for a memorial at the Waikiki Memorial Wall, please contact us on 9528 0333 to discuss the options available.

Location

Safety Bay Road, Safety Bay
Rockingham Memorial Wall

As the Rockingham Foreshore precinct is undergoing a revitalisation we are not accepting any requests for the Rockingham Memorial Wall or memorial seats. For further enquiries, please contact us on 9528 0333

 

Roadside memorials

It is an unfortunate occurrence that loved ones are lost to traffic accidents within the City. Council has a policy to allow the placing of Roadside Memorials following the loss of a friend or family member. Please read our policy before completing an application form.

Go to Top of the page