Go Local, Shop Local, Buy Local
The City of Rockingham is home to approximately 5,619 businesses, with about 97% of these considered small businesses (employing less than 20 people).
Local businesses benefit the entire Rockingham community in many ways, from providing employment to contributing to a robust economy – when you spend $100 with a local business $63.39 stays in Rockingham.*
However, the recent impact of COVID-19 has led to many local businesses having to close, reduce operations or dramatically pivot from previous undertakings. It’s clear the business community needs our support, which is why the City is encouraging residents to support local enterprise through the launch of its Go Local, Shop Local, Buy Local campaign.
The campaign includes press advertising and social media promotion to help create awareness of local businesses and motivate residents to go, shop and buy locally.
It’s important to realise that supporting local business doesn’t have to mean spending lots of money or making big changes to the way you shop. Here are a few ideas for getting behind the City’s Go Local, Shop Local, Buy Local campaign in meaningful ways.
- Spread the word. If you’ve had a great experience with a local business then tell your friends or leave an online review.
- Similarly, ask for local recommendations when researching products and services.
- Follow local businesses on social media or join their e-newsletters.
- Call a local tradesperson for home improvements and emergencies.
- When you require a product, service or activity search “electrician near me” or “kids' activities near me” on Google to get local results.
- Support local venues and local musicians.
- Try a new local café or restaurant for your next special celebration.
- Buy artwork from a local artist and point it out to your visitors.
- Take a cooking class or a creative workshop held by a local instructor.
- Do you have friends or family coming to stay? Stock up on local produce, wine or homewares to showcase your love of Rockingham.
- Be a tourist in your own City. Take a look at visitrockingham.com.au for ideas.
- Choose one frequently used household item and make the decision to purchase this locally. Something as simple as buying a loaf of bread each week from your local bakery can really make a difference.
- Support a local business who supports their community. Members of the Rockingham Kwinana Chamber of Commerce (RKCC) demonstrate their commitment to partnering together for the greater benefit of the region. Access the RKCC member directory.
*Source: The National Institute of Economic and Industry Research