Hazardous household substances
Disposal of hazardous chemicals
Hazardous items stored around the home can be dangerous to people and the environment. Don't dispose of chemicals in your bin as it is a fire risk to City staff and please don't put them down the drain because it can contaminate waterways or drinking water.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) EPIRB (not accepted)
Supported by the Waste Authority, the Hazardous Household Waste program allows residents to dispose of chemicals for free at the Millar Road Landfill (quantity limits apply).
Please keep chemicals in their original container or label the new container clearly. This assists staff in handling the contents safely.
What we will accept
A maximum of 20kg or 20 litres per material of unwanted chemicals (per day):
- household chemicals, including cleaning, pool and garden chemicals
- methylated spirits/turpentine
- smoke detectors
- fire extinguishers (red only*)
- fluoro tubes and light fittings.
*Halon fire extinguishers are identified by their yellow colouring. These are not collected through the HHW program at the landfill. Contact the National Halon Bank on 1800 658 084 for safe disposal options or visit the Department of Environment and Energy for more information.
The Waste Authority Household Hazardous Waste website provides information on identifying or handling chemicals.
Please do not dispose of EPIRB emergency distress beacons in your bins as they can activate and result in a false emergency call out. For disposal/disarming, please visit the Australian Maritime Safety Authority. Single EPIRBs can be dropped off at:
2/95 Dixon Road
Telephone: 9529 4590
Batteries, mobile phones, and printer cartridges
The Millar Road Landfill is a Paintback collection point for decorative and architectural paints. Under the program both residential and commercial quantities are accepted free of charge to a maximum of 100 litres (maximum container size 20 litre) per visit.
For more information on what is accepted under the program visit the Paintback website. Some products not covered under this program may be covered by the Hazardous Household Waste program (above) in residential quantities.
Dry cell batteries, old mobile phones and printer cartridges can be dropped off at the following locations for free recycling:
- City Administration building, Civic Boulevard Rockingham
- Millar Road Landfill, 204 Millar Road West Baldivis
- Mary Davies Library and Community Centre, Settlers Ave Baldivis
- Rockingham Library, Dixon Road Rockingham
- Safety Bay Library, Safety Bay Road Library
- Warnbro Library, Swallowtail Pde Warnbro
If you can’t see the recycling receptacle at these venues, please ask staff as it may be behind the counter.
The Millar Road Landfill no longer accepts e-waste free of charge (fees apply, subject to the acceptance of landfill staff). Please view the E-Waste Accepted and Not Accepted List below.
You can also visit the Recycling Near You website for the closest recycling drop off location for the recycling of your old e-waste under the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme.
When purchasing a new item, ask the retailer if they will recycle your old television or computer and accessories.
Asbestos can be disposed of at the Millar Road Landfill following strict procedures, including correct wrapping and booking procedures. Incorrectly wrapped or asbestos not booked is not permitted on site.
Asbestos is accepted in wrapped or bagged form from domestic and commercial customers. Asbestos in bulk form (for example asbestos containing material or contaminated soils) are accepted from commercial customers only; please see Commercial Waste.
The following guidelines will assist you to correctly dispose of your commercial asbestos waste at the Millar Road Landfill Facility.
- Ensure the asbestos is separated from other material for disposal.
- Double wrap the asbestos in heavy duty plastic (available from most hardware stores) and seal it with adhesive tape to prevent asbestos fibres from being released
- Label it with the words "CAUTION ASBESTOS" in letters not less than 50mm high (label available on site).
- Asbestos must be hand unloaded by resident - Millar Road Landfill staff cannot offer assistance.
- Asbestos cannot be accepted between 9am and 10am, or 12pm and 1pm.
Please read the information guides below before handling or disposing of asbestos.
All asbestos requests are required to be booked in a minimum of 24 hours prior to disposal and a booking number issued (commercial customers).
Contact the Millar Road Landfill on 9528 0333 (weekdays) or 9528 8550 (weekends) prior to disposal for important advice and to book or complete the online waste booking request form.