Building applications and permits

Building permits

Under Western Australian legislation a building permit is required before commencing most building work.

Formal approval (a building permit) is required for any building work involving the development of new structures, alterations or extensions and changes in ground levels. these include:

  • fences
  • swimming pools, spas and barriers
  • garden sheds
  • verandahs
  • gazebos
  • garages
  • workshops
  • pergolas
  • dwellings
  • commercial buildings including fitouts and refurbishments
  • industrial buildings
  • changes to levels (i.e. cut and/or fill)
  • retaining walls.

The Building Regulations 2012 details some building work for which a building permit is not required.  See the related documents below for types of work for which a building permit is not required.

If the total value of the work exceeds $20,000 a permit is issued to a registered builder, or in some circumstances, an owner builder.

The building permit issued for the particular work is void if the work is not commenced within the first 12 months of the date of issue, and the work must be completed within 24 months of the permit being issued.

It is important to ensure sufficient time for assessment. No work is to start without the building permit.

Visit the Building Commission website to access all the building permit application forms you need to submit to us. We are happy to discuss your project before you commence the process so you are clear on what you need to do. Please call us on 9528 0333 with any enquiries.

Below are some information sheets that can assist you in preparing your documentation for a Building Permit submission for your proposed structure and provide some guidance on setback, heights etc.

Online building permit applications

Do you want to apply for a building permit online?

You can use our online portal, Rock Port, to lodge your application. First time users will need to create a new account for the online lodgement of a building application. Existing users can log in with their existing Rock Port account. You will need to have your completed Application for Building Permit Form ready, available from the Building Commission website.

Submit a building application


Town Planning consent

Development of commercial and industrial lots, or for three or more grouped dwellings, requires assessment and approval of a development application by us prior to applying for a building permit. A change of use of a commercial tenancy may also be required; please check with our Planning Services.

Town Planning consent is also required for any development on all Special Residential and Special Rural zoned land, including where a building envelope variation is sought.

If you are unsure if Town Planning consent is required for your application, please contact us on 9528 0333.

Copies of building plans

The City now accepts building plan requests via our online portal, Rock Port.

The preferred way for submitting building plan requests is through Rock Port. It is effectively a one-stop shop for applications, since users will be able to submit their request, owner consent form, and make payment all at once. Once you have logged in to Rock Port, go to "submit a request".

Request building plans

If you don’t have a Rock Port account, you can create a Rock Port account. Alternatively you can submit a request in person.

Please take note that the following conditions apply when requesting copies of building plans:

  • If you are not the owner of the property, please be advised that the owner's authorisation (signature) is required for the release of the plans. This can be done by including the owner consent form (for agents) or alternatively a letter of support to release the plans signed by the owner.
  • Some older plans may not be available.
  • If the building forms part of a strata, duplex or any non-green title lot etc., consent from the strata corporate body or individual owners may be required.
  • The City will provide the plans to the best of our ability, however, we cannot guarantee the quality of the print as the original plans may be subject to fair wear and tear, blurred print etc..
  • Incomplete application forms will be returned.
  • Full payment is required prior to the copies of building plans being issued.

Please note requests can take up to ten working days to process.

How much does it cost?

A non-refundable application fee for a full set of plans is payable. Payment can now be processed using our online portal Rock Port when submitting your request.

The standard fee for a full set of residential plans is $60 and a full set of commercial plans is $100.  Individual plans or certificates are also available for $25 each. These fees include GST and are subject to change.

For properties that have plans greater than A3 size, additional fees will be charged. Applicants will be advised of any additional fees prior to the plans being released.

Can I still lodge applications in person?

The City will continue to accept requests for building plans in person at the City’s Administration Building located on the corner of Central Promenade and Civic Boulevard, Rockingham. Payment will need to be made at the time of lodgement, along with the existing Request for a Copy of Building Plans form and a completed Authorisation Form.

General building enquiries

For general building enquiries please call us on 9528 0333.

Additional forms

Your application may also require some of these forms, although we will let you know if you need to complete one, once you have contacted us.

Go to Top of the page