What is an iconic event?
An iconic event is one that generates significant economic benefits and destination awareness to the Rockingham region. An iconic event may be an annual or recurring event, or even a one-off feature event.
Iconic events provide participants with experiences that support the tourism brand “Rediscover Rockingham: where the coast comes to life”. They provide opportunities to market the destination outside the Rockingham region by generating awareness and gaining media coverage.
An iconic event should generate significant economic impact for the local economy, and increased rates of visitation during the event from people outside the Rockingham Local Government Area.
Impact to our local economy
Iconic events deliver significant economic impact for the Rockingham region through events-based visitation and associated visitor spend, quantified by:
- expected number of visitors from outside of the Rockingham region who will travel specifically to attend the event
- the estimated daily visitor spend while in Rockingham
- length of stay in overnight accommodation
- opportunities for local business to leverage the event
- ability to support destination marketing outcomes and generate awareness.
For more information on iconic events or the Iconic Events Sponsorship funding in the City of Rockingham, please contact the Economic Development team on (08) 9528 0333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.