Roads, footpaths and traffic

City of Rockingham

We are responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads, footpaths and kerbing within the City of Rockingham, excluding some major arterial roads that Main Roads WA is responsible for. Here you will find answers to our most common enquiries regarding construction, roads, footpaths, kerbs and traffic.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Your construction has damaged my home, what do I do?

    If works are imminently causing danger or harm please call our Customer Service team on 9528 0333 for immediate help.  Otherwise, if you feel that works are damaging your property, but are not life threatening, we encourage you to document the effects, preferably over a period of time and then contact us. We will investigate the matter and inform you of the outcome.

    Why don't you do dilapidation reports before works begin?

    Since the City follows the Australian Standard in road construction, generally a dilapidation report is not considered necessary. However, each project is checked on its own merit.

    What are the fresh paint marks in front of my home?

    There could be several reasons for this, but most often they are there to indicate service locations. Generally:

    • yellow for gas
    • blue for water (reticulated, fresh or sewage)
    • red for communications (phone or optics)
    • white for construction offsets for turning points, kerb, asphalt or sometimes other services (unidentified).

    Small white markings with arrows and right angles on old bitumen are usually instructions for road resurfacing. The same markings on fresh asphalt, with the addition of dots, are usually instructions for new line marking and signage.

  • Can I remove the existing footpath to make way for the crossover?

    No, the footpath cannot be removed to make way for the crossover. The intent of the concrete footpath is to provide a continuous uniform path giving the pedestrian right of way and to prevent unwanted blocking of pedestrian access due to vehicles being parked on the crossover.

    How do I report brick paving/kerbing/footpath lifting, and will it be repaired?

    Please contact us on 9528 0333 or email to report the issue.  Please include information regarding the location and a description of the issue.  The lifting will be inspected and it will be repaired if it is unsafe or poses a trip hazard.  Minor lifting will be monitored and scheduled for repair when deemed necessary.

    My crossover is cracked/damaged, will it be repaired?

    If the crossover was damaged by a City street tree it will be assessed and repaired by us.  Otherwise the property owner is responsible for repairing the damage. Read more about crossovers.

    The kerbing at my property is damaged, will it be repaired?

    Once reported to us it will be assessed.  Subject to the amount of damage, it might be repaired or monitored for replacement. 

    My property's kerbing is too high, can it be changed to a lower profile kerb?

    We will not change the kerbing installed due to the profile.  The property owner can change the profile of the kerbing at their own cost.

    I have sustained damage within my property boundary due to the City maintenance works, will this be repaired?

    Damage sustained within the property boundary will need to be reported in writing, with sufficient evidence via email to or by letter to City of Rockingham at PO Box 2142, Rockingham DC WA 6967. We will investigate the matter and inform you of the outcome.

  • How can I report speeding and hooning concerns in my street?

    The City has no authority to enforce the law regarding hooning and speeding issues; however, WA Police has the authority to ensure motorists comply with the speed limit. You are encouraged to report speeding, hooning or unsafe driver behaviour to WA Police by calling 131 444. More information about reporting hoon behaviour can be found on the WA Police website.

    How can I request traffic calming devices to reduce speeding issues?

    Traffic calming devices are only considered where it can be established that the existing infrastructure is contributing to poor driver behaviour and the majority of motorists are failing to follow the road rules. Our experience shows that only some of the local distributor roads qualify for traffic calming devices. Short length local access roads usually do not qualify for such treatments.

    Upon receiving a request for traffic calming devices we undertake traffic counts on the road and then assesses the road against the our Local Area Traffic Management Assessments. The assessment considers a range of factors including:

    • speed data
    • traffic volume including commercial vehicle volume 
    • crash history
    • road design and topography
    • presence of vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists 
    • activity generators such as schools/retail/train stations etc.
    How can I report traffic signals not working or causing delay?

    Main Roads WA installs and maintains the traffic signals in WA. If you notice any fault please notify Main Roads on 138 138 or via email to

    How can I request a children's crossing?

    WA Police, through the Children's Crossings and Road Safety Committee, administers applications requesting children's crossings within Western Australia. Applications for children’s crossings can only be made by the school principal or school P&C. The application must meet certain requirements. If a location meets these requirements the school will then have to apply for the City’s approval, and then apply to the Children's Crossings and Road Safety Committee for the final decision. 

    Can a footpath/bicycle path be installed in my street?

    Requests for cycling paths and footpaths are assessed and programmed on a priority basis subject to funding. Areas adjacent to high pedestrian areas such as shopping centres, schools and train stations receive higher priority. 

    How can I request a bus shelter at my local bus stop?

    The City has a 50/50 shared cost arrangement with the Public Transport Authority (PTA) for the installation of bus shelters each financial year.  While we encourage the use of public transport by providing facilities at all bus stops, we are committed to achieving the best result for all public transport users by prioritising the installation of bus shelters at bus stops with the highest patronage numbers. The current patronage requirement for the bus shelter grant is a minimum of 15 boardings per day. We will assess any bus shelter request against this criteria and prioritise the installation accordingly.

    How can I report irregularities at roadworks, missing detour signs or signs left out overnight?

    Photographs speak a thousand words and help us follow up any problems in the field quickly with the accredited and responsible traffic management company.  Photos and video provide valuable evidence and help record keeping. Please email us on with photographs or footage and we will follow up the matter with the relevant traffic management company.

  • Roadworks and events that occur on City roads or road reserves will in most cases require a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) to be submitted for review and acceptance by the City prior to the works or event.

    The purpose of a TMP is to maintain an adequate level of service for all road users (including cyclists and pedestrians) and adequately provide for the safety of workers, road users and the general public.

    There is legislation governing the use of traffic management which is administered by Main Roads WA (MRWA) and by various local governments who are signatory to an agreement with MRWA to oversee the traffic management legislative requirements within their boundaries.

    The information below outlines the City’s obligations, requirements and approvals when receiving, reviewing and endorsing traffic management plans prepared by individuals or organisations planning to conduct works or events on a road reserve within the City of Rockingham.

    When is a Traffic Management Plan required?

    Roadworks such as below but not limited to:

    • Survey and inspection
    • Road construction, maintenance, and resurfacing
    • Footpath and driveway construction or repair
    • Verge maintenance, landscaping, and vegetation control

    Events such as below but not limited to:

    (where the proceedings will take place on or within close proximity of the road)

    • A race meeting for athletes
    • Race, rally, or reliability trials for vehicles 
    • Speed tests
    • Sporting, recreational, social, fundraising, or artistic events (street parties etc.)
    • Political, religious, cultural, or commemorative parades or rallies
    • Filming

    Private Works, Development, and Other such as below but not limtied to:

    • Storage and/or placement of building material, waste material, or skip bins on any verge or roadway
    • Building and construction works on adjoining property that may impact, disrupt or cause harm to road users and the public (swimming pool installation using a crane etc.)
    • Demolition of buildings and structures on adjoining property that may impact, disrupt or harm road users and the public
    • Installation or maintenance of utilities/services (water, gas, power etc.)
    How do I prepare a Traffic Management Plan?


    Traffic Management Plans for works on roads are to be prepared in accordance with the Main Roads Western Australia Traffic Management for Works on Roads Code of Practice (latest revision).


    Traffic Management Plans for events are to be prepared in accordance with the Main Roads Western Australia Traffic Management for Events Code of Practice (latest revision).

    The Main Roads WA site also contains a generic TMP template that must be used when submitting any traffic management plans to the City.

    What do I need to submit a Traffic Management Plan?

    All submissions must contain the following documentation:

    • A copy of approval for the works from the relevant approving authority e.g. for works on utilities - the utility owner, for works on a City asset within the road reserve - the relevant City Engineering Service Unit, etc.
    • A copy of a Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance of sufficient value to cover risk associated with the works and traffic management implementation.
    • A Traffic Management Plan designed by an appropriately accredited Traffic Management Plan designer as per the Main Roads WA Code of Practice, and as a minimum reviewed by a secondary holder of Advanced Worksite Traffic Management Accreditation (AWTM) or higher level of accreditation if required by the Code of Practice.

    Note: For works not being carried out between 7am and 7pm, Monday to Saturday (excluding public holidays), an approval for out-of-hours construction Noise Management Plan will be required from the City’s Health Services separate to the TMP approval process.

    What is the timeframe of the review process?

    For low complexity works – a minimum of 15 business days is required.

    For complex works – a minimum of 20 business days is required (not including any notification period that may be required).

    What is my responsibility as the applicant?

    Ultimately it is the responsibility of the individual or organisation proposing to undertake the works within a road reserve to ensure they comply with all relevant statutory and other obligations.

    Applicants are responsible for the safe and timely execution of the proposed works and need to notify the City of any changes in the way the works will be undertaken.

    Applicants are responsible for all costs associated with the works including the applicant’s supervision, inspection, materials, testing, road signage and line marking and any other requirement as specified by Main Roads WA or the City of Rockingham. Applicants are responsible for works undertaken by contractors or subcontractors working on their behalf.

    What is my duty of care as the applicant?

    As stated in the Main Roads WA Traffic Management for Works on Roads - Code of Practice, “Any party who undertakes work on a road that is open to traffic, by law has a “duty of care” under the Occupational Health and Safety Act to take all steps that are reasonably necessary to prevent any person being injured or damage being caused to the property of others while carrying out those works."

     The Occupational Health and Safety Act specifically requires:

    • An employer to provide a safe workplace for its employees and

    • Any person in control of a workplace, to take measures to ensure persons who have access to that workplace (including road users in case of a roadworks site) are not exposed to hazards.

    As part of this "duty of care", any party undertaking works within a road reserve that is under the care, control and management of the City that presents a risk to, or impacts on road users is required to have approval to implement a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) from the City in accordance with the Code of Practice.

    What are the reporting requirements?

    All traffic management activities must be recorded according to the Main Roads WA Code of Practice. As a minimum the following completed records must be kept:

    • daily dairies,
    • daily inspection sheets,
    • details of any incident or accidents resulting from the works or events.

    The City may request to view the above records during an audit of your site. Failure to supply appropriate records of traffic management activities may result in the applicant and any of the applicant’s agents, consultants or contractors being refused when seeking endorsement of any future traffic management plans.

    Can a Traffic Management Plan be revoked after approval has been given?

    The City of Rockingham regularly undertakes audits of any work that is occurring within our road network. Should any unauthorised works or events be detected, the individual or organisation responsible may be instructed to immediately terminate the work or event and remove all plant and equipment from the site. In case of any breach of duty of care, the City will report the incident to Worksafe.

    The City of Rockingham will not be liable for any costs associated with any work or events terminated prior to completion.

    As part of any audit, if any sub-standard traffic management is identified, the traffic management must be immediately rectified to the satisfaction of the City. The applicant will be responsible for the cost of rectifying any sub-standard traffic management. If the sub-standard traffic management is not corrected, the City may instruct the individual or organisation responsible to immediately terminate the work/event and remove all plant and equipment from the site. Non-compliance with a request to cease work will result in the matter being referred to Worksafe.

    I have more questions, who can I speak to?

    You can contact our Traffic Team on 9528 0333 or email for further information regarding your Traffic Management Plan submission and the approval process.

Go to Top of the page