Where can I volunteer in my community?
Where can I volunteer in my community?
Community members can volunteer their time in a wide variety of organisations, across many different areas of interest, with varying levels of experience and time frames. You can even work from home via the internet in some cases. These opportunities could include:
- fundraising, events, marketing, administration or committees
- programs and services for older people, young people or for people with disability
- positions in the arts, culture, leisure, sport and recreation areas
- working with animals or the environment
- website design, strategic planning, mentoring, advocacy.
Some of the volunteering opportunities at the City of Rockingham include Rockingham Connect Community Transport Services, Neighbours Unite, Toy Library, Autumn Centre, Rockingham Arts Centre or even the Rockingham Volunteer Centre.
If you are interested in a position in the wider community, the Rockingham Volunteer Centre has information on positions in hundreds of different not-for-profit, community organisations.
Alternatively you can search online for volunteer positions through Volunteering WA.
Volunteer with the City of Rockingham
The City has several volunteer roles available and by becoming a City volunteer, you will make a difference in your community.
We provide all the training you will need to be successful in your role, we will reimburse your volunteer-related costs and we do provide insurance cover. You will also have a chance to meet new people, learn new skills and partake in a range of recognition and appreciation initiatives.
Some of the positions on offer include:
- Community events: Seniors and Carers Expo, Castaways Sculpture Awards, and Teddy Bears Picnic
- Rockingham Volunteer Centre: Volunteer Referral Officers
- Autumn Centre: Café Assistant, Kitchen Assistant, Member Desk Volunteer
- Libraries: Toy Library, Homebound Service
- Neighbours Unite: Community Safety promotion
- Rockingham Connect Community Transport Service: Volunteer Drivers, Transport Assistants
- Rockingham Arts Centre: Gallery attendants.
How to apply?
To volunteer for the City, you will need to complete a Volunteer Expression of Interest Form which will provide City officers with basic information such as your interest, experience and availability.
Once the City receives your EOI, you will be invited to a Meet and Greet with a Volunteer Supervisor and a Community Development Officer (Volunteers). During the meeting, you will be asked to complete and sign additional documents as included in the Volunteer Handbook, agree to a National Volunteer Police Check (the City pays for this check on your behalf) and discuss potential roles in detail.
If you need a bit more assistance, please let us know how we can assist and feel free to invite a friend or a family member to the meeting.
For more information, please feel free to review the below documents or call the City on 9528 0333 or email email@example.com.
If you would like to explore roles within the wider community, please contact the Rockingham Volunteer Centre.
Rockingham Volunteer Centre
About the centre
The Rockingham Volunteer Centre (RVC) is the hub for volunteering in Rockingham. The centre finds and links people to local organisations seeking volunteers, and also promotes the benefits of volunteering.
The RVC provides:
- a free referral service to enquiring volunteers
- a free support resource to volunteer involving organisations in the City of Rockingham.
If you would like to know more about current volunteer opportunities please contact us on 9528 8670 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments are available with one of our trained Volunteer Referral Officers at the Rockingham Volunteer Centre, which is located within the Rockingham Library on Dixon Road. The RVC is open:
- Mondays and Tuesdays: 9.30am – 2.30pm
- Wednesdays and Thursdays: 1pm – 6pm
- Fridays: closed.
You can also fill out the Volunteer Referral Form prior to your appointment.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit SEEK Volunteer to view and apply for the positions currently available.
Organisations/Community Groups/Volunteer Involving Organisations
We provide a free service to local volunteer involving organisations by making it easier to attract and manage volunteers. This includes:
- online listing for your volunteer positions
- referral of potential volunteers and promotion of volunteer positions in the community
- training opportunities
- Volunteer Management Support
- networking opportunities
- access to the City’s Corporate Volunteer Program.
If you would like to become an RVC Member, please contact us on 9528 8670 or email email@example.com.
Alternatively you can fill out the Rockingham Volunteer Centre Membership Package and Volunteer Position Form.
We are available to assist with all volunteer-related matters and would welcome the opportunity to visit your organisation to discuss membership and how we can best support you and your volunteer program.
Latest volunteer opportunities
Cycling Without Age
Cycling Without Age connects elder people and those less-abled with their community and outdoors by giving them free rides on trishaw ebikes.
The role involves collecting a trishaw and riding to the pickup location at either Rockingham Beach or City Park to collect passengers. Help load passengers (1-2) and ride on designated route.
For more information about the role visit Cycling Without Age SEEK.
Learn Club Tutor - The Smith Family
The role provides the opportunity to use and enhance your tutoring and relationship skills. Key tasks include:
- supporting student participants in developing skills and knowledge through school based tasks
- provide instruction to student participants in using resources provided to increase literacy, numeracy and homework skills
- assist with goal setting
- record progress of student development
- assist the set-up and pack-up of Learning Club each week.
For more information about the role, please visit The Smith Family SEEK.