Port Kennedy Skate Park
Construction begun on the new skate park in March 2019. Works planned throughout May include:
- prepare and pour concrete to transition extension box, rail footings and shade structure footings
- prepare and pour concrete for snake run top slab
- install trim and forming to bowl top slab and stairs
- installation of copings for top slabs
- complete bulk earthworks for raised area in north west corner.
- Community consultation on the concept design occurred in late 2017 and early 2018, with the outcomes used to finalise the design.
- The concept was finalised in April 2018.
- The construction tender was awarded in December 2018.
- Works are anticipated for completion in August 2019.
An audit of the City's existing skate parks showed that the Port Kennedy Skate Park at Veteran's Memorial Reserve was no longer suitable to serve the needs of the current and future population.
As a result of the audit and the significant use of the skate park by the community, the existing skate park will be demolished and an upgraded one constructed in the same location.
The new sub-district level skate park is designed to provide more space and cater for skate, scooter and BMX riders of a variety of skill levels.
The park will complement the existing informal reserve uses, and provide a venue suitable for skate clinics and competitions.
The skate park design is made up of a number of areas including a:
- flow zone and
- street line.
The skateable areas are complemented by other amenities including:
- half court basketball
- shelters with seating
- drink fountain
- bins, bike racks and path connection.
Upgrade of the existing reserve toilets are not part of this project, but refurbishment is scheduled in the near future as part of the City's Asset Management Plan.
For any enquiries please contact the City on 9528 0333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.