Aerial view of Point Peron looking back on to Rockingham.

In our Town Planning Scheme No.2, short-stay accommodation is a form of tourist accommodation for a period of less than three months. Premises used for short-stay accommodation are also known as 'holiday houses'. There are two types of holiday houses:

  • Holiday House: means a single dwelling on one lot used to provide short-term accommodation (unhosted) but does not include a bed and breakfast.
  • Bed and Breakfast (Hosted): means a dwelling used by a resident of the dwelling to provide short-term accommodation, including breakfast, on a commercial basis for not more than four adults or one family; and containing not more than two guest bedrooms.

Holiday Houses and Bed and Breakfasts (B&Bs) are often listed on websites such as Airbnb and Stayz. Even if you are complying with all the policy requirements of those platforms, you still need Development Approval from the City for Holiday House and Bed and Breakfast accommodation before you commence operating.

Approval process

As a guide, the following approvals are typically required if you are intending to operate one of these businesses:

Step 1 - Identify your Business Site and Zoning

Once you have chosen a business address, please confirm the site's zoning using the City's Online Maps. Zoning can be identified using the Planning and Development Module.

Once a site has been selected, locate 'TPS2 Zoning' in the column on the right-hand side of the screen to identify the zone.

The preferred land zone for Holiday Houses and Bed and Breakfast Accommodation include the following:

  • Residential
  • Development
  • Rural

City of Rockingham online mapping

Step 2 - Development Application

A Development Application is required before any type of Holiday House or Bed and Breakfast can start operating.

Please note, that as part of the Development Approval process, the proposal will be publicly advertised and subject to submissions.  The cost of advertising will be at the applicant's expense.

Please read the below documents and complete (as necessary) prior to applying for Development Approval through our online portal, Rock Port.

Lodge a Development Application

Step 3 - Building Permit

The Building Regulations 2012 require an owner to ensure that they have compliant smoke alarms installed prior to the sale, leasing or hiring of their dwelling. Smoke alarms needs to be hardwired (by a licenced electrician), be less than 10 years old and be interconnected. In some circumstances you may be able to have battery-powered smoke alarms and it is recommended that you contact the City's Building Services to discuss this further on 9528 0333.

If your dwelling is being used as a Bed and Breakfast or Holiday House, additional requirements may apply for smoke alarms as well as a requirement to install emergency lighting to assist with evacuation.

For further information please contact Building Services or submit your small business enquiry here.

Step 4 - Health Approval

An application to Health Services is required where short term accommodation is being offered and food is provided as part of this service.

Bed and Breakfasts

Bed and Breakfasts must comply with the provisions of the Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911 and the Food Act 2008, which includes the following requirements:

  • separate shower, toilet and hand basin to be provided where practical;
  • room sizes to be adequate – generally require a space of 14m3 per person, which does not include space occupied by furniture;
  • hygiene standard of premises to be acceptable before approval given;
  • an adequate number of receptacles to be available for the waste generated;
  • food preparation areas to comply with “Guidelines for the Preparation of Foods in Residential Premises for Bed and Breakfast”;
  • Food Act 2008 - Application for a Registration / Notification of a Food Business Form to be completed;
  • Application for Registration as a Bed and Breakfast Form to be completed.

Please note:

  • If there is a pool or spa on the property, approval from the Chief Health Officer at the Department of Health (WA) is required under the Health (Aquatic Facilities) Regulations 2007 before guests are able to utilise these facilities. Please refer to the Department of Health website.
  • If the dwelling is serviced by an onsite wastewater disposal system (e.g. septic tanks), upgrading to current standards may be required.

Building Services requirements

Bed and Breakfasts will also need to ensure compliance with Building Regulations and the following is required:

  • A smoke alarm and lighting system that complies with clause and, Volume 2 of the Building Code of Australia 2005 to be installed.
  • Certificate of Electrical Compliance required to be completed by licensed electrician in regards to the above works.
  • Fire extinguishers and fire blankets shall be provided to the satisfaction of the Manager Health and Building Services.
Step 5 - Health Inspection

Prior to commencing operation, an inspection will need to be undertaken to ensure the premises meets the required standards.  When you are ready to commence operations, please contact Health Services on 9528 0333 or via email to to arrange for this inspection – please allow 48 hours for the inspection to be scheduled.

Ongoing routine inspections will be conducted once the business is operational to ensure that suitable standards are maintained.

Submit an enquiry

If you still have any queries or questions on your small business proposal, or you have a proposal plan that you would like to discuss further, please submit your enquiry or indicative proposal to us.

Submit an enquiry or indicative proposal

Go to Top of the page