Rockingham 18° 14 °

Roads, footpaths and traffic

The City is responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads, footpaths and kerbing within the City of Rockingham, excluding some major arterial roads that Main Roads WA are responsible for.

Page index

Front end loader moving sandConstruction near your home - FAQ

Your construction has damaged my home, what do I do?

If works are imminently causing danger or harm please call our Customer Service team on 9528 0333 for immediate help.  Otherwise, if you feel that works are damaging your property, but are not life threatening, we encourage you to document the effects, preferably over a period of time and contact the City. The City will investigate the matter and inform you of the outcome.

Why don't you do dilapidation reports before works begin?

Since the City follows the Australian Standard in road construction, generally a dilapidation report is not considered necessary. However, each project is checked on its own merit.

What are the fresh paint marks in front of my home?

There could be several reasons for this, but most often they are there to indicate service locations. Generally:

  • yellow for gas
  • blue for water (reticulated, fresh or sewage)
  • red for communications (phone or optics)
  • white for construction offsets for turning points, kerb, asphalt or sometimes other services (unidentified).

Small white markings with arrows and right angles on old bitumen are usually instructions for road resurfacing. The same markings on fresh asphalt, with the addition of dots, are usually instructions for new line marking and signage.

​back to top

Maintenance of roads, footpaths and kerbing - FAQ

How do I report brick paving/kerbing/footpath lifting, and will it be repaired?

Please contact the City by phone on 9528 0333 or by email to to report the issue.  Please include information regarding the location and a description of the issue.  The lifting will be inspected and it will be repaired if it is unsafe or poses a trip hazard.  Minor lifting will be monitored and scheduled for repair when deemed necessary.

My crossover is cracked/damaged, will it be repaired?

If the crossover was damaged by a City street tree it will be assessed and repaired by the City.  Otherwise the property owner is responsible for repairing the damage. Read more about crossovers.

The kerbing at my property is damaged, will it be repaired?

Once reported to the City it will be assessed.  Subject to the amount of damage, it might be repaired or monitored for replacement. 

My property's kerbing is too high, can it be changed to a lower profile kerb?

The City will not change the kerbing installed due to the profile.  The property owner can change the profile of the kerbing at their own cost.

I have sustained damage within my property boundary due to the City maintenance works, will this be repaired?

Damage sustained within the property boundary will need to be reported in writing, with sufficient evidence, via email to or by letter to City of Rockingham at PO Box 2142, Rockingham DC WA 6967. The City will investigate the matter and inform you of the outcome.

​back to top

Traffic in your area - FAQ

Traffic light at intersection

How can I report speeding and hooning concerns in my street?

The City has no authority to enforce the law regarding hooning and speeding issues; however, WA Police has the authority to ensure motorists comply with the speed limit. You are encouraged to report speeding, hooning or unsafe driver behaviour to WA Police by calling 131 444. More information about reporting hoon behaviour can be found on the WA Police website.

How can I request traffic calming devices to reduce speeding issues?

Traffic calming devices are only considered where it can be established that the existing infrastructure is contributing to poor driver behaviour and the majority of motorists are failing to follow the road rules. The City’s experience shows that only some of the local distributor roads qualify for traffic calming devices. Short length local access roads usually do not qualify for such treatments.

Upon receiving a request for traffic calming devices the City undertakes traffic counts on the road and then assesses the road against the City’s Local Area Traffic Management Assessments. The assessment considers a range of factors including:

  • speed data
  • traffic volume including commercial vehicle volume 
  • crash history
  • road design and topography
  • presence of vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists 
  • activity generators such as schools/retail/train stations etc.

Traffic signals not working or causing delay

Main Roads WA installs and maintains the traffic signals in WA. If you notice any fault please notify Main Roads on 138 138 or email to

How can I request a children's crossing?

WA Police, through the Children's Crossings and Road Safety Committee, administers applications requesting children's crossings within Western Australia. Applications for children’s crossings can only be made by the school principal or school P&C. The application must meet certain requirements. If a location meets these requirements the school will then have to apply for the City’s approval, and then apply to the Children's Crossings and Road Safety Committee for the final decision. Details about the process can be obtained on the WA Police website.

Can a footpath/bicycle path be installed in my street?​

Requests for cycling paths and footpaths are assessed and programmed on a priority basis subject to funding. Areas adjacent to high pedestrian areas such as shopping centres, schools and train stations receive higher priority. 

How can I request a bus shelter at my local bus stop?

The City has a 50/50 shared cost arrangement with the Public Transport Authority (PTA) for the installation of bus shelters each financial year.  While the City encourages the use of public transport by providing facilities at all bus stops, it is committed to achieving the best result for all public transport users by prioritising the installation of bus shelters at bus stops with the highest patronage numbers. The current patronage requirement for the bus shelter grant is a minimum of 15 boardings per day. The City will assess any bus shelter request against this criterion and prioritise the installation accordingly.

How can I report irregularities at roadworks, missing detour signs or signs left out overnight?

Photographs speak a thousand words and help us follow up any problems in the field quickly with the accredited and responsible traffic management company.  Photos and video provide valuable evidence and help record keeping. Please email the City on with photographs or footage and the City will follow up the matter with the relevant traffic management company.

back to top

How to report a problem

To report a problem regarding roads, footpaths, kerbing, or traffic please complete the online form

If you need immediate assistance or ​the problem needs immediate attention, please contact us on 9528 0333.