Rates FAQ

Budget and rates information 2022/2023 - City Budget

The City Budget newsletter is sent out with your annual rate notice and provides an overview of the City's 2022/2023 Annual Budget. It includes information about how your rates have been calculated and payment options.

Frequently asked questions about rates

What are local government rates and who pays them?

Local government rates are a contribution each property owner makes towards the cost of providing facilities and services in their local community.

Anyone owning residential, rural, vacant, industrial or commercial property in the City of Rockingham is a ratepayer. Some government bodies, educational and registered charitable organisations are exempt from paying rates.

Where does the money go?

Rates are used to build and maintain the City’s beaches, roads, parks, gardens, sporting facilities and to operate a multitude of community services.

Rates make up the majority of our income and are essential to its ability to provide services to the community.

When does the rate year run?

The rate year is 1 July to 30 June, the same as the City's financial year.

When will new rates be issued?

Rate notices can be issued any time after 1 July. Typically it will occur in the first few weeks of the new financial year. You can register for eRates to have your annual and instalment notices emailed to you.

How are my rates calculated?

How much you pay depends on the value of your property. This value is determined by the State Government’s Landgate (formerly Valuer General’s Office [VGO]) in one of two ways, depending on the type of property you own:

  • For properties that are predominately used for rural purposes, the Unimproved Value (UV) of the land is used. This is an estimate of the value of the land of the property assuming no improvement on the land.

  • For properties that are predominately used for non-rural purposes, such as residential, industrial and business, the Gross Rental Value (GRV) is used. This is the estimate of the total rent that may be received from the property in