Stakehill Road - Jarvis Road to Fletcher Road
- Major infrastructure projects
- Planning and design
We're upgrading a section of Stakehill Road in Baldivis/Karnup to improve road safety.
The aim of the project is to make improvements to the road and install additional safety measures to reduce the number of crashes occurring in this section of Stakehill Road. In developing the design for this project, we have taken into consideration public safety, existing public and private infrastructure and the Austroads and Main Roads WA (MRWA) guidelines.
The following upgrades are proposed:
- removal and undergrounding of the Western Power power poles and overhead cables
- reconstruction of the road curves
- construction of a two-metre-wide sealed shoulder with edge lines
- installation of street lighting, and
- installation of a crash barrier.
The construction works are anticipated to occur in the 2023/2024 financial year with minor disruption to road users and neighbouring residents.
Frequently asked questions
What is the purpose of the road upgrade ? What current infrastructure will the road work effect ?
Between Jarvis Road and Fletcher Road many road accidents have taken place, resulting in both vehicle damage and in some cases, hospitalisation. This project aims to reduce the number of crashes by upgrading this section of the road.
Will the road upgrade improve entry and exit from Fletcher Road?
The road upgrade will affect the following:
- Existing trees – Some trees located in the proposed road alignment will be removed. The Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (DWER) was consulted and has granted approval to remove these trees. The City will re-plant additional trees to replace these affected trees.
- Power poles – A few power poles will be removed and the overhead power cables will be buried underground.
Improvements at the Fletcher Road intersection as a result of this road upgrade will be:
- Better sight distance: Vehicles entering or exiting Fletcher Road will be able to see further along Stakehill Road to avoid conflict with oncoming traffic.
- Wider eastbound lane: The new lane will be 10m wide compared to the existing width of 7.5m. This will facilitate safe overtaking by the eastbound traffic that follows behind vehicles turning into Fletcher Road. The existing traffic data at this junction indicates that no dedicated turning lanes are required on Stakehill Road in the foreseeable future.
- Better visibility at night: As part of the road upgrade, additional street light poles will be installed.