An Occupancy Permit must be obtained from the City before any commercial building can be occupied.
It covers circumstances such as:
- occupying a completed new building or a new part of an existing building;
- occupying an incomplete building or part of a building on a temporary basis;
- modifying the current occupancy permit for additional use of a building on a temporary basis;
- occupying a building or part of a building that has undergone a permanent change of use or classification;
- authorising and occupying an unauthorised building or an unauthorised part of a building; and
- authorising a building with existing approval with a new or replacement occupancy permit. This demonstrates that an existing building complies with the relevant building standards and is safe to occupy.
An Occupancy Permit application must be accompanied by:
- a Certificate of Construction Compliance (BA17) for new buildings including new additions to existing buildings or a Certificate of Building Compliance (BA18) for existing buildings, signed by an independent building surveyor.
Occupancy Permit applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or lodged in person at our Administration Office located at Civic Boulevard, Rockingham.
Visit the Building Commission website to access all building permit application forms you need to submit to us.
We are happy to discuss your project before you commence the process so you are clear on what you need to do, please contact Building Services on 9528 0333 or via email to email@example.com.
Building Commission website