Rubbish and recycling collection
Using Your Bins
The standard service for most residential properties is:
- 360-litre recycling bin (yellow lid), collected fortnightly
- 240-litre green waste bin (lime green lid), collected on the alternative fortnight to recycling
- 140-litre waste bin (red lid), collected weekly
Search for your bin collection days on NEAR ME.
Bins are to be placed on the kerb by 6am on your bin collection day, with the wheels facing the house.
Each week two bins are placed out:
- Week 1: Waste bin (red lid) and Recycling bin (yellow lid)
- Week 2: Waste bin (red lid) and Green waste bin (green lid)
What to Place into Each Bin
For guidelines on what to place in each bin please see the Bin Collection Flyer (below), or view this new instructional video:
Post-Collection Journey of Waste and Recycling
Once the truck empties the bin, the contents of you bin are taken to different locations for processing:
- Waste bin (red lid) - waste is landfilled at the Millar Road Landfill.
- Recycling bin (yellow lid) - recyclables are processed at a Material Recovery Facility in Bibra Lake.
- Green waste bin (green lid) - green waste is composted at a facility in North Bannister.
For a more information on this journey, the infographic can be downlaoded from the table below.
Changes to Recycling Rules (yellow lid bin)
The City's new recycling contrator started service on 26 June 2017. The new facility has allowed for the recycling of some items that were previously not accepted in the yellow lidded recycling bin:
- Polystyrene (not balls) - for example foam cups or foam packaging
- UHT and juice boxes
- Soft plastics - for example bread bags, frozen vegetable wrapper, cereal box liner.
As always, the recyclables are required to be clean and placed in the recycling bin separately.
back to top
New or Broken Bins
To obtain a new bin or to have your bin repaired, please contact the City on 9528 0333. Please allow 7 days for your new bin to be available.
Bin delivery days:
Wednesdays - Baldivis, Karnup (including Vista Estate), Secret Harbour, Golden Bay and Singleton.
Fridays - Rockingham, Hillman, Cooloongup, Shoalwater, Safety Bay, Waikiki, Warnbro and Port Kennedy.
Bins belong to the City of Rockingham and should not be removed from the property.
Change your bin service
Owners of a property (ratepayers) can change their waste service by requesting an additional bin or cancelling an additional service, by filling out one of the below forms:
New bin collection service
From May to June of 2017, the City upgraded the standard bin collection system through the Waste Authority's Better Bins program. The new system will divert additional recyclables and green waste from landfill, helping the City reach is aim to exceed state recovery targets of 65% of 2020.
back to top