Over 100 volunteers and guests were on hand to celebrate the contribution of the City’s advisory and emergency groups, with the occasion marked by the presentation of the National Medal to Bert Scarrott from the Singleton Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade.
Mr Scarrott was presented with the National Medal in acknowledgement of 35 years’ service as a volunteer who had risked his life to protect the community on numerous occasions.
City of Rockingham Mayor Barry Sammels congratulated Mr Scarrott (pictured) on the achievement and thanked all volunteers for their efforts.
"The volunteer celebration for our advisory and emergency groups is an important opportunity to recognise the people who dedicate their valuable time and effort into making our City such a wonderful place," Mayor Sammels said.
"While we live in a time where everybody seems to be busier than ever, we are fortunate to have a number of volunteers willing to put their hand up and go the extra mile.
"The contribution our advisory and emergency services groups make is invaluable and the City thanks each and every one of them for the positive difference they make to the community."
A total of 10 emergency services groups and 16 advisory committees and working groups were acknowledged during the celebration including:
Advisory Committees and Working Groups
- Aboriginal Advisory Group
- Bush Fire Advisory Committee
- City Safe Advisory Committee
- Coastal Facilities Advisory Committee
- Cultural Advisory Committee
- Disability Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee
- Global Friendship Committee
- Heritage Reference Group
- Local Emergency Management Committee
- Neighbours Unite Advisory Committee (Disbanded)
- Pioneers Luncheon Working Party (Disbanded)
- Roadwise Advisory Committee
- Rockingham Education and Training Advisory Committee
- Rockingham Youth Advisory Group
- Seniors Advisory Committee
- Sports Advisory Committee
Emergency Services Groups
- Department of Fire and Emergency Services
- Rockingham Kwinana SES
- Rockingham Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service
- Rockingham Volunteer Sea Rescue Group
- Salvation Army (Rockingham Branch)
- Secret Harbour Surf Life Saving Club
- Secret Harbour Volunteer Fire and Rescue
- Singleton Volunteer Bushfire Brigade
- Baldivis Volunteer Fire and Emergency Services Brigade
- St John Ambulance WA