At the 27 April 2021 Ordinary Council Meeting, Council resolved to advertise the proposed Cats Amendment Local Law 2021 for public consultation.
The amendment of the Cats Local Law 2018 has been proposed to specify areas within the City of Rockingham that prohibit cats.
Under the powers conferred by the Cat Act 2011 and the Local Government Act 1995, it is proposed to make the City of Rockingham Cats Amendment Local Law 2021.
The purpose and effect of the local law:
- Purpose: To amend the City of Rockingham Cats Local Law 2018 to specify areas that prohibit cats and make it an offence for a cat to be in these areas.
- Effect: Specify areas within the City of Rockingham that prohibit the entry of cats and provide a penalty for offences of cats entering these specified areas.
A map of each area is provided in the proposed Cats Amendment Local Law 2021 below.
The following City-managed reserves have been prioritised for the Feral Animal Control program as per the areas listed in the City’s Natural Area Conservation Strategy 2017. This aligns the proposed local law with the objective of the Strategy. The following areas have been added to the proposed City of Rockingham Cats Amendment Local Law 2021 to be cat prohibited areas.
- Alf Powell Reserve
- Anstey Q
- Baldivis Children’s Forest
- Baldivis Nature Reserve
- Baldivis Tramway
- Bordeaux Ramble
- CUD Swamp
- Dixon Road Conservation Precinct
- Frank Browne Reserve Rockingham Golf Course
- Golden Bay Foreshore
- Hidden Swamp
- Karnup Reserve School Site
- Karnup Town Site
- Kinsale Bend
- Lake Richmond
- Lark Hill Environmental Reserve
- Lewington Reserve
- Mandurah Hill
- Port Kennedy Foreshore
- Rockingham/The Esplanade Foreshore
- Sawley Close Nature Reserve
- Secret Harbour Foreshore
- Shoalwater/Safety Bay Foreshore
- Singleton Foreshore
- St Claire Foreshore
- Tamworth Hill Swamp
- Trenant Park Gardens
- Tuart Park
- Warnbro/Waikiki Foreshore
- Woodleigh Grove
The following areas are State-managed reserves that are also recognised as priorities for the Feral Control Program. These areas have been added to the proposed City of Rockingham Cats Amendment Local Law 2021 to be cat prohibited areas.
- Anstey Swamp
- Lake Cooloongup
- Lake Walyungup
- Mandurah-Singleton Border reserve
- Paganoni Swamp
- Point Peron
- Port Kennedy Drive-Ennis Avenue Reserve
- Port Kennedy Dune conservation reserve
- Port Kennedy Scientific Park
- Rockingham Lakes East
- Tern Island
These reserves are a vital component of the City’s natural capital, underpinning its identity, prosperity and lifestyle. Many of these areas are recognised by the State and Commonwealth governments for their conservation significance for containing Threatened Ecological Communities, priority flora and fauna species or Conservation Category Wetlands.
With the addition of prohibited areas to the local law it will also mean the inclusion of the definition of a cat management facility, where cats would be relocated if found in a prohibited area.
While these amendments are being added, an additional definition of cattery will also be added. This addition has found to be an omission that needs to be rectified.
More information can be found in item GM-014/21 of the minutes of the 27 April 2021 Ordinary Council Meeting.