Rockingham Recovery: Education and training
The City of Rockingham COVID-19 Local Recovery Coordination Group (LRCG) is continuing to support the implementation of the State Government's COVID-19 WA Recovery Plan. The plan includes these opportunities and developments for local students and trainers:
- The State Government is offering free short courses and reduced TAFE fees to encourage people to train in people in areas of specific need. Visit Jobs and Skills WA for information on the courses available.
- If your training contract has been cancelled or suspended by your employer due to the impact of COVID-19, you can still continue off-the-job training with your TAFE college or registered training organisation with no fees. Eligible apprentices and trainees displaced between 1 March 2020 and 31 December 2020 are entitled to this fee relief.
- An Apprenticeship and Traineeship Re-engagement Incentive program is available that provides employers with a one-off payment of $6000 for hiring an apprentice and $3000 for hiring a trainee whose training contract was terminated on, or after, 1 March 2020.
- For information on local learning opportunities and career counselling visit our Education and training page.
- $30 million towards the construction of stage two of Ridge View Secondary College in Baldivis has been announced by the State Government.
- Further investment in education will also result in new schools being built at Baldivis North and Baldivis South (Parkland Heights).