Aqua Jetty False Alarm

Get the latest update.

Close alert

Holiday homes

In our Town Planning Scheme No.2, short-stay accommodation is a form of unhosted tourist accommodation for a period of less than three months. Premises used for short-stay accommodation are also known as "holiday houses".

​Short-stay accommodation and B&B's are often listed on websites such as Airbnb and Stayz. Even if you are complying with all the policy requirements of those platforms, you still need development approval from us for short-stay accommodation and B&B accommodation.

​Please note that swimming pools at short-stay accommodation and B&Bs are considered public pools and require additional approval. For information on how to obtain a Public Pool Approval, please contact us on 9528 0333.

Parliamentary Inquiry

The Parliament of Western Australia, Economics and Industry Standing Committee released its report and recommendations on its inquiry into short-term rentals on Thursday, 26 September 2019.

The Committee Report is titled "Levelling the Playing Field: managing the impact of the rapid increase of Short-Term Rentals in Western Australia."

While the outcomes were laid on the Table of the Legislative Assembly on 26 September 2019, the formal position of the State Government may not be released for at least 12 months. Visit the Parliamentary Inquiry website below for more information.

Inquiry into Short-Stay Accommodation - Inquiry details

Committee Findings - Managing the impact of the rapid increase of Short-Term Rentals in Western Australia Sept 2019

​Information on obtaining approval for short-stay accommodation is available to download below.

Bed and breakfast accommodation

Development approval is required from our Planning Services prior to operating a Bed and Breakfast (B&B). This grants approval for the land use. Please note that further approvals may be required from our Building and Health Services based on the nature of the business, particularly if you are providing food.

​Under the Food Act 2008, we are required to register all premises that prepare or provide food for sale and inspect them accordingly. For information on how to obtain a Food Permit from us please visit the Food businesses page.

Information on starting your own Bed and Breakfast Accommodation is available to download below.

Caravan parks and camping grounds

The Caravan Park and Camping Grounds Act 1997 (WA) and Regulations came into effect on 1 July 1997 to regulate standards of park design, health, traffic, fire and safety and other such issues to safeguard users and improve park conditions.

We are required to inspect all park structures and supporting facilities once per year to ensure compliance with the Act and regulations, and to grant a licence for operation.

Approvals are also required prior to the erection or placement of park homes, verandahs, carports, pergolas and sheds (among other things).

Go to Top of the page