Proposed Heritage Policies
At its ordinary meeting held on 28 June 2022, Council resolved to advertise revised Planning Policy No.3.3.21 – Heritage Development and Design (PP3.3.21) and proposed Planning Policy No.3.3.26 – Guidelines to Establishing a Heritage List (PP3.3.26) for public comment.
Planning Policy No.3.3.21 – Heritage Development and Design
Revised PP3.3.21 is intended to assist property owners and managers to understand and appreciate the cultural heritage significance of heritage places and seeks to:
- conserve and protect places of cultural heritage significance within the City;
- assist property owners and managers to conserve the cultural heritage significance of their heritage places;
- ensure that future development, including conservation or adaption of buildings and construction of new buildings does not adversely affect the significance of heritage places and respects and enhances their identified heritage values;
- ensure that heritage significance is given due weight in decision making for applications for development approval.
It is proposed that the revised policy will replace the existing Planning Policy 3.3.21 - Heritage Conservation and Development in its entirety.
Planning Policy No.3.3.26 – Guidelines to Establishing a Heritage List
Proposed PP3.3.26 is based on the Guidelines for Establishing a Heritage List (Guidelines) as prepared by the Heritage Council of Western Australia and seeks to:
- achieve transparency and consistency in the designation of places on the Heritage List;
- provide clear guidance on how challenges to a proposed inclusion on the Heritage List will be assessed;
- ensure that the Heritage List is maintained in a manner and form that is consistent with Town Planning Scheme No.2; and
- provide clear guidance on the criteria for including and excluding a place from the Heritage List.
There are no changes proposed to the current Heritage Listed properties included on the City’s Heritage List.
Council has also supported the introduction of Heritage Assistance Grants for owners to manage and conserve places of cultural heritage significance. Consultation on this matter will occur with all owner of properties on the City’s Heritage List, on the proposed Heritage Assistance Grant program.
Share your thoughts
We invite you to provide your comments on the policies:
Submissions close at 4.30pm on Friday 9 December 2022.
Please note any written submission received in response to this invitation, including the address of the party that made the submission, will be placed on the public record and be available for inspection.