About the 2021 Art Awards
Viewing 2021 artworks
2021 Art Awards
The annual City of Rockingham Art Awards recognise artistic achievement in a range of categories. This year, 79 local and Western Australian emerging and professional artists responded to the theme, Connection.
The exhibition was on display at the Rockingham Arts Centre and the Gary Holland Community Centre.
View the 2021 catalogue and corresponding artist statements below.
2021 Award Winners
Congratulations to all artists exhibited in the City of Rockingham 2021 Art Awards. We are delighted to announce the Award winners:
Open Award Winner:
- Michael Doherty for Night View - Safety Bay Road
Heritage Award Winner:
- Anita Phillips for These Things I Did Not Know…
Aboriginal Award Winner:
- Maitland Hill for Booladarlung, Trust, Respect, Sharing
Emerging Award Winner:
- Lorraine Defleur for The Kiss in Turmoil
Local Resident Award Winner:
- Nicole Steenhof for Indelible Mark
Youth Award Winner:
- Jacinta Posik for A Father’s Presence
3D Award Winner:
- Hanae Meyer for Esther (and I)
People's Choice Award Winner:
Sarcha Simpson for Cold and Alone
Honourable Mentions were given to:
- Ross Potter for Splitting Rocks (Pilbara WA)
- Justin Swed for Venn Diagram Tea and Testament – Figure 3
- Ann Hart for Cultural Fringes
The City would like to express its sincere appreciation to Jude van der Merwe who curated the exhibition, Andy Quilty, who was an independent panellist, and our two judges Susanna Castleden, Lecturer Printmaking Curtin University, and Professor Ted Snell, AM CitWA Senior Research Fellow, who had an extremely hard time selecting the winners. Congratulations again to the winners, those who received honourable mentions and all artists involved.