Rockingham 19° 13 °


Page index

Golden Retriever on grass

Responsible dog ownership

As a responsible dog owner you should:

Dog registration

It is a legal requirement that all dogs over the age of three months old must be registered with the local government where they live. You can register your dog for one year, three years or for a lifetime.  You can also transfer your dog registration from another local government if you have moved house. Call us on 9528 0333 or email

If you are registering your dog for the first time, please complete a dog registration form and bring it to our administration office. If you have received a registration renewal notice from us, you can pay online. The period of registration (a “dog year”) runs from 1 November to 31 October, regardless of the date when the dog is actually registered.

​If you register your dog under the non-sterilised rate, and subsequently have your dog sterilised, you may be eligible for a partial refund of the fee.  You can apply for this using the Change of Details form below.

Please note that microchipping your dog does not automatically register it with the City. All dogs must be microchipped and this number needs to be provided to us when your register your dog.  A registered Veterinary Surgeon’s Certificate or statutory declaration must be produced to be eligible for sterilisation rates.

Registration fees

Pensioners are entitled to a 50% reduction on all registration fees.

Sterilised Unsterilised
1 year - $20 1 year - $50
3 year - $42.50 3 year - $120
Lifetime - $100 Lifetime - $250

Dog tags

Once your dog is registered, you will be issued with a coloured dog tag stating your dog’s number and registration expiry date. In addition to the registration tag provided, the owner’s name and address must be attached to its collar.

Updating your details

If you move house or no longer have your pet, please let us know by calling us on 9528 0333 or emailing a completed Change of Details form (below) to as soon as possible so we can update our records. Also, remember to update any changes with your microchip database provider.

Title Type Size and Format
Dog Registration Form Form PDF 130 kb
Change of Details Form Form PDF 142 kb

back to top


All dogs over the age of three months are required by law to be microchipped.  Proof of microchipping will be required at time of registration. This can be your dog's microchip number.

If a pet is sold or transferred to a new owner, the new owner needs to update their details with the relevant microchipping database.

Please contact your local veterinarian for costs associated with microchipping. Your vet will also be able to assist you with vaccinating your dog.

Prescribed number of dogs

Only two dogs are allowed to be kept at any one residence in the urban area but rural and special rural areas may keep more than the prescribed number of dogs.

If you are thinking about keeping more than two dogs, a completed application must be made to the City with a non-refundable fee of $135 (GST inc).

Puppies may only be kept until they reach the age of three months.

Title Type Size and format
Application to Keep More Than Two Dogs Document PDF 83 kb

back to top

Dog exercise areas

A dog walking off the lead on the beach.

There are a number of beaches across Rockingham that have been designated as dog exercise areas. You can view a list and map below.

The City also has two enclosed off-leash dog exercise areas at Bayview Reserve, Rockingham and at Acrasia Reserve, Baldivis.

Further information on dog exercise areas as well as other information is available from the City's Ranger Services. Call 9528 0333 or email

Name Type Size and format
Dog Beach Exercise Areas Map Document PDF 272 kb

Wandering dogs

Please prevent your dog from wandering the streets alone by ensuring your home is secure enough to prevent a dog escaping, keeping in mind dogs can escape by digging, jumping, running out of open gates and garage doors.

If your dog does escape, it could be seized by a ranger and impounded, or even killed on the roads by a car, which is a very common occurrence.

View the animals currently impounded.

Nuisance barking

If you have a problem with nuisance barking, we always recommend you speak to the owner of the dog.  Often the neighbour is not aware their dog is causing a nuisance as it may happen when they are away.

There are a number of steps an owner can take to minimise or stop their dog from causing a nuisance. Barking control measures which may be suggested include:

  • leaving a radio or TV on when you are out
  • leaving your dog with a range of toys to keep them occupied
  • organising a dog walker
  • booking your dog into a dog day care
  • barking control collar
  • keeping your dog inside the house.

If the barking continues or if you are unable to approach the neighbour, you can report the nuisance barking to Ranger Services on 9528 0333.

back to top

Restricted Breeds (Dangerous Dogs)

Certain breeds of dogs have been identified by the Commonwealth Government as being particularly aggressive.  They have been banned from import into Australia and each state and territory introduced legislation to protect the community from these breeds. The Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries has more information and useful fact sheets that outline further details on the keeping of restricted breeds.

​Declared Dangerous Dogs

​Under the Dog Act 1976, local governments are able to declare a dog dangerous based on its behaviour.

Reasons that a dog may be declared dangerous include the dog:

  • ​causing injury or damage by an attack, or chasing, a person or animal;
  • repeatedly showing a tendency to attack or chase, a person, animal or vehicle; or
  • threatening to attack.  

​For further information and your obligations in keeping a declared dangerous dog see the useful fact sheet published by the Government of Western Australia or call Rangers on 9528 0333.

Contact a Ranger

Rangers are available seven days a week from 7am–7pm by calling 9528 0333.

For enquiries outside of business hours please still call 9528 0333 and the City's after-hours service will pass on the details to the rangers, who will deal with your matter at the earliest possible time.  If the matter is urgent, an on-call officer will be contacted as soon as possible.