Rockingham 20° 10 °

Building permits and applications

Page index

Building Permits

Under Western Australian legislation a building permit is required before commencement of most building work.

Formal approval (a building permit) is required for any building work involving the development of new structures, alterations or extensions and changes in ground levels. These include:

  • Fences
  • Swimming pools, spas and barriers
  • Garden sheds
  • Verandahs
  • Gazebos
  • Garages
  • Workshops
  • Pergolas
  • Dwellings
  • Commercial buildings including fitouts and refurbishments
  • Industrial buildings
  • Changes to levels (i.e. cut and/or fill)
  • Retaining walls.

The Building Regulations 2012 details some building work for which a Building Permit is not required.  The following is information on  Exempted Building Permits .

If the total value of the work exceeds $20,000 a permit is issued to a registered builder, or in some circumstances, an owner builder.

The building permit issued for the particular work is void if the work is not commenced within the first 12 months of the date of issue, and the work shall be completed within 24 months of the issue of the permit.

It is important to ensure sufficient time for assessment. No work is to commence without the building permit.

back to top

Town Planning Consent

Development of commercial and industrial lots, or for three (3) or more group dwellings, requires assessment and approval of a development application by the City of Rockingham’s Planning Services prior to applying for a building permit,.

Town Planning consent is not required for any ‘permitted development’ on ‘special residential’ and ‘special rural’ zoned land if the proposal is within the approved building envelope, or where no building envelope exists and is compliant with the setbacks prescribed by Town Planning Scheme No. 2,  except for any development within the Warnbro Dunes and Singleton Ridgeline lots.

If you are unsure if Town Planning consent is required for application, you should contact the City's Planning Services on 9528 0333.

back to top

Copies of Building Plans

The City of Rockingham will, where possible, provide copies of approved building plans on request to building owners.

The City of Rockingham's building records are generally complete back to the 1980’s however prior to that time not all records are held.

Unfortunately the qualities of some of the older property’s plans are poor.

With more recent records we are able to provide copies of the following information:

  • Site plan
  • Floor plan
  • Elevations plan
  • Footing details
  • Housing Indemnity Insurance
  • Levels of ground prior to works commencing.

Copies of house plans should be passed to your real estate agent when selling your property so that prospective purchasers can see that all structures on the property have been approved by the City of Rockingham.

Who can request copies of building plans?

Only the owner or mortgagee is generally entitled to view or request copies of the City of Rockingham's building records.

The owner includes:

  • the person shown in the City of Rockingham's records as being the owner
  • a person who is authorised in writing by the owner.

The City of Rockingham will require proof of identity upon collection of the plans.

How long does it take to obtain a copy of plans?

Copies of plans will be ready for collection after 11am, 48 hours after initial request.

How much does it cost?

A non-refundable application fee for a full set of plans is payable. You can pay in person, by credit card over the telephone, or send in a cheque or money order. A fees schedule is available for downloading in the table below.

back to top

General Building Enquiries

For general building enquiries please call the City's Building Services on 9528 0333.

back to top

Application Forms and Statutory Declaration

Fees (set by State Government via Statute)

Title Type Size and format
Fees for Building Applications and Permits Document PDF 31 kb

back to top 

Information Sheets

Name Type Size and format
Outbuildings (Sheds) Form PDF 1.8 MB
Carports Form PDF 428 kb
Front Fences Form PDF 503 kb
Patios (including verandahs) Form PDF 430 kb