Draft Verge Development Policy
The City is proposing a revision of acceptable materials for verge development across the City. We are also seeking to implement a transitional arrangement for verge treatments that are currently non-compliant.
We seek your feedback on the policy, which can be downloaded below.
It is proposed to provide a transitional arrangement for non-compliant artificial grass, hard paving and inorganic mulch treatments on the verge as follows:
- Implement a media, education and information campaign to ensure the community is aware of the need to register their verge treatment. This will be undertaken over a six-week period with a further two weeks amnesty period for registration.
- Upon registration, these verge treatments will be considered permissible until such time as requiring repair or replacement.
- Other issues, such as restricted visibility, loose materials or unsatisfactory maintenance will be continue to be actioned through the transition period.
(a) Any verge treatment that is considered unsafe will be actioned immediately.
(b) Any verge treatment installed during this period will be excluded from the transitional arrangement.
For all verges subject to the transitional arrangements, the following conditions will need to be met:
- The verge treatment is registered.
- The verge treatment is maintained to the manufacturer’s requirements, and kept weed free.
- That an opening 3m wide is provided at such time as the City undertakes street tree planting on the verge.
- The treatment is removed when it requires repair and is replaced with a compliant verge treatment.
Builders, commercial and industrial properties will not be included in this period and these verges will need to be reinstated as compliant treatments immediately.
Share your thoughts
To have your say on the proposed policy you can make a submission:
- online via Rock Port, our community engagement portal.
- online via email
- Mail to: Chief Executive Officer, City of Rockingham, PO Box 2142, Rockingham DC 6967
Submissions close on Thursday 27 June 2019.