Rockingham 18° 8 °

Holiday homes

Page index

Holiday homes

In the City of Rockingham's Town Planning Scheme No.2, Short-Stay Accommodation is a form of unhosted tourist accommodation for a period of less than three months. Premises used for short-stay accommodation are also known as "holiday houses".

​Short-stay accommodation and B&B's are often listed on websites such as Airbnb and Stayz. Even if you are complying with all the policy requirements of those platforms, you still need Development Approval from the City for short-stay accommodation and B&B accommodation.

​Please note that swimming pools at short-stay accommodation and B&Bs are considered public pools and require additional approval. For information on how to obtain a Public Pool Approval, please contact the City's Health Services on 9528 0333.

Parliamentary Inquiry

The Economics and Industry Standing Committee is currently inquiring into the regulation of short-stay accommodation in Western Australia. While the outcomes will be reported to the House of the Legislative Assembly of Parliament by 27 June 2019, the formal position of the State Government may not be released for at least 12 months.

​Pending the findings of the inquiry and in accordance with Council's resolution of 26 February 2019, the City of Rockingham has commenced a focused information and education campaign in relation to dwellings being used as short stay accommodation and bed and breakfast accommodation without Development Approval.

​Information on obtaining approval for short-stay accommodation is available to download below.

Title Type Size and format
Short-Stay Accommodation - Unhosted Document PDF 256 kb
Application for Development Approval Document PDF 142 kb

Bed and Breakfast accommodation

Development Approval is required from the City's Planning Services prior to operating a Bed and Breakfast (B&B). This grants approval for the land use. Please note that further approvals may be required from the City's Building and Health Services based on the nature of the business, particularly if you are providing food.

​Under the Food Act 2008, the City is required to register all premises that prepare or provide food for sale with the City's Health Services and inspect them accordingly. For information on how to obtain a Food Permit from the City please visit the City's Food Businesses page.

Information on starting your own Bed and Breakfast Accommodation is available to download below.

Title Type Format and Size
Bed and Breakfast Information Sheet Document PDF 177 kb
Planning Policy No.3.3.2 Bed and Breakfast Accommodation Document PDF 468 kb
Bed and Breakfast Checklist - Hosted Document PDF 251 kb
Application for Development Approval Document PDF 142 kb

Caravan parks and camping grounds

The Caravan Park and Camping Grounds Act 1997 (WA) and Regulations came into effect on 1 July 1997 to regulate standards of park design, health, traffic, fire and safety and other such issues to safeguard users and improve park conditions.

The City is required to inspect all park structures and supporting facilities once per year to ensure compliance with the Act and regulations, and to grant a licence for operation.

Approvals are also required prior to the erection or placement of park homes, verandahs, carports, pergolas and sheds (among other things).