Rockingham 20° 10 °

Food businesses

Page index

Free Food Safety Training

The City of Rockingham takes food hygiene very seriously and we are assisting food businesses to meet their obligations by providing free access to an online training tool. 

There is a high demand for training in the food sector and this training will help food handlers to developing the required skills and knowledge to ensure food is handled in a safe and hygienic manner.  The program is free, easy to follow and includes an entertaining presentation as well as interactive quizzes.  A training acknowledgement form can be printed upon completion and kept as part of your staff records.

Launch the food safety online training tool.

Starting a New Food Business

Before starting a new food business, you must obtain approval from the City of Rockingham's Planning, Building and Health departments. It is recommended that you contact each department prior to submitting your applications.

Information on building approvals is available in the Building permits and application section.

Your application for health approval must include a floor plan and elevations of the food preparation, food storage and food service areas. All structural details are required, including the location and types of equipment, the surface finishes, fixtures and fittings. You must include all areas of your food premises, such as any additional food storage areas, the bin storage location, cleaners store and location of staff and patron toilets (if provided). The number of tables and chairs must also be provided, as well as any outdoor dining.

Your application also needs to include the following:

The food premises will be assessed against the Food Act 2008 (WA), Standard 3.2.2 of the ANZFA Food Standards Code – Food Safety Standards, Australian Standard AS4674-2004 Design Construction and Fit-out of a Food Premises, and Australian Standard AS1668.2-1991 The Use of Mechanical Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality. These documents are available free of charge by contacting the City’s Health Services on 9528 0333 or

When your application has been approved, you will receive a conditional approval. Construction may only occur after this time, as the approval will have a set of structural conditions that need to be complied with. If you undertake construction work prior to receiving the approval conditions, you may install fixtures that do not comply and will be required to re-fit prior to being allowed to operate.

When construction has been completed, you need to contact the City’s Health Services to arrange for a final inspection. If the premises complies with the conditional approval, the City’s Health Services will issue a Certificate of Registration and the premises may commence trading.

back to top

Running a Food Business

Proprietors have a number of legal obligations under the Food Act 2008 (WA) and Food Safety Standards. The City’s Environmental Health Officers undertake ongoing routine inspections of all food premises within the City of Rockingham to ensure that proprietors are meeting their obligations under the food legislation, and maintaining a high level of food hygiene and food safety.

The City’s Environmental Health Officers are available to provide advice on food hygiene and food safety, and to provide assistance wherever possible.

Proprietors are required to receive approval from the City’s Health Services prior to undertaking refurbishments or minor works, to ensure that the proposed work complies with the food legislation.

Title Type Size and format
General Requirements for Food Businesses Document PDF 100 kb

back to top

Buying an Established Food Premises

If you intend to purchase an established food premises, you must apply to the City’s Health Services for a new Certificate of Registration. The certificate of registration is not valid once the proprietor has left the premises, and an application for a new Certificate of Registration must be made so that the new proprietor’s details can be displayed.

In addition to your certificate of registration, a food premises notification form must also be submitted. This is to inform the City’s Health Services of the types of foods that the business will sell and if there are any changes to the menu, to ensure the risk rating on the certificate of registration is accurate.

Title Type Size and format
Application for Registration/Notification of a Food Business  Document PDF 60 kb

back to top

Outdoor Eating

Outdoor dining adds vibrancy to the street, provides an alternative for patrons and encourages customers to the area. When operating an outdoor area, the following needs to be considered:

Flooring must be scrubbed on a routine basis to remove all grease, food residue and stains.

All structures must be secured to withstand strong wind conditions, and must not obstruct pedestrian access through the area.

  • The area must be kept clean at all times, and must be included in your cleaning schedule
  • Rubbish can attract birds and pests, and discourage customers. Monitoring and removal of rubbish in the outdoor areas must be done routinely throughout the day.
  • Smoking is not permitted in any outdoor dining area.
  • If your outdoor area is located on Council land, you must have a current Outdoor Eating Area Licence from the City’s Health Services before using the area.

back to top

Running a Food Business from Home

Approval is required from the City’s Health Services in order to prepare food from your home for sale to the public. An authorised officer will assess your application to determine if your kitchen is suitable for the preparation of food for sale. Only some types of low risk food may be prepared in a domestic kitchen for sale to the public.

Other food may be considered for approval following a written application to the City of Rockingham. In some instances, if the production of a food product is considered of high risk and / or large scale, you may be required to provide a separate commercial kitchen.

In addition to your application to the City’s Health Services, an application for a home occupation may be required prior to commencing business. It is suggested that you contact the City’s Planning Services to determine if an application for a home occupation is required.

Title Type Size and format
Preparing Food for Sale in Residential Premises Document PDF 100 kb

back to top

FoodSafe Program

The Food Safety Standards require all food handlers to have skills and knowledge in food safety and food hygiene. One way to demonstrate that your staff has an understanding of food safety is to become FoodSafe accredited.

The FoodSafe Program includes a training DVD and questionnaire, so each food handler can demonstrate their food safety knowledge. The Program also requires that cleaning and temperature checks are undertaken each day, and all check sheets are included to record this information.

The program is available from the city’s health services for $99. Successful FoodSafe premises are eligible for a 20% discount on their annual food premises fees. For more information or to obtain a FoodSafe Package, please contact us on 9528 0333 or email