Rockingham 20° 12 °

Holiday Homes - Focus of Education Campaign


The City of Rockingham is engaging in a focused education and information campaign to raise awareness of the rules and regulations that owners of holiday homes must follow if they decide to let out a property for short stay accommodation purposes.

At a State level the Economics and Industry Committee is currently conducting an inquiry into the regulation of short stay accommodation in Western Australia. Outcomes from this inquiry will be reported to the Legislative Council by 27 June 2019, however, a government response could still be 12 months away. 

A holiday home operating from any property, including bed and breakfast accommodation, requires development approval.

City of Rockingham Mayor Barry Sammels said: "Council considers that the current short stay accommodation market is not an even playing field and, as a result, has started an education and information campaign in relation to holiday homes that are operating without development approval."

The City is committed to protecting the amenity of people living near holiday homes and protecting existing approved businesses which are compliant with the City’s requirements.

The City is aware of over 200 holiday homes listed on websites such as Airbnb and Stayz, most of which do not have development approval.  

Even if operators are complying with all the policy requirements of those platforms, they still need development approval from the City. If they don’t have it, they must immediately stop letting the house out for short term accommodation until they do.

Under the Food Act 2008, the City is also required to register all premises that prepare or provide food for sale with the City’s Health Services and inspect them accordingly. Swimming pools at holiday homes are also considered public pools and require additional approval. 

The City acts on any complaints from neighbours and local residents regarding holiday homes. Development Compliance Officers follow up on complaints and conduct investigations of premises that have been identified as potentially being used as a holiday home. 

Owners operating without development approval could be issued with a $500 infringement notice. If the offence occurs again there are larger penalties under Section 218 of the Planning and Development Act 2005. 

For information regarding development applications, food permits or public pool approval, visit Holiday homes, contact the City on 9528 0333 or email

Back to News