Development compliance

City's Role

The City has an important role in monitoring Planning Approvals and enforcing Town Planning Scheme No.2. The City's Development Compliance Team conducts inspections and audits of Planning Approvals, responds to complaints received from members of the public, investigates potential breaches and carries out enforcement action. Enforcement action may range from negotiated outcomes, warning letters, penalty notices and also prosecution action.

Role of Proponents

Proponents who are undertaking development, or who own the land upon which development is occurring, have a legal obligation to ensure they are developing and using land in compliance with Planning Approval and the City's Town Planning Scheme. Proponents must monitor the performance of development against the Planning Approval conditions, which may require further reports or changes to be undertaken prior to the commencement of development. Planning Approvals may also include conditions that are on-going for the duration of the development and must be complied with at all times.

Compliance Procedures

The City has a Development Compliance - Planning Procedure 1.12 and Infringement Notice - Planning Procedure 1.7, which establishes guidelines and procedures for the City when assessing whether complaints of unlawful activity require investigation, the City's options for dealing with unlawful activity, and when the City decides enforcement activity is warranted, such as issuing Infringement Notices or undertaking legal action.

Lodging a Complaint

Any person who is aggrieved by a land use or development matter may lodge their complaint in person, on-line, email, fax or in writing. A complaint can be lodged on-line with the City using the following link: Development Compliance Complaint.

The City will record the complaint and post an acknowledgement letter to the complainant. Complaint particulars will be kept confidential and will not be released to potential offenders without the consent of the complainant. All notification of alleged unlawful activity will be recorded by the City on a Customer Service Request Management System and must be made in writing. The City will not respond to anonymous complaints as it has no way of determining the validity of a complaint.