A large animal must not be kept on any land except within the Rural and Special Rural zones of the district. A large animal is defined as any of the following:
- cow, bull
- horse, pony
- ass, donkey, mule
- llama, alpaca
- emu, ostrich
If you have a neighbour who currently keeps any of the large animals above, you can make a complaint to the City of Rockingham Rangers.
The keeping of large animals requires the prior Development Approval of the Council. The application for Development Approval is available at Town Planning Services - Application fees and forms.
Approval to keep animals must not exceed the stocking rates recommended by the Department of Agriculture and Food, Western Australia. Please discuss your application with City Planning Officers on 9528 0748 prior to lodging your application, as application information requirements apply.
Poultry includes the following animals:
Any of the above and the like shall not be kept on any land except within the Rural and Special Rural zones of the district where up to 20 poultry may be kept.
Roosters must also only be kept within the Rural and Special Rural zones of the district, however, a person may apply for an exemption to keep poultry in areas other than Rural and Special Rural zones, but not all applications are successful.
Exemption to keep poultry in a residential area:
Write to Health Services at the City advising how many chickens you want to have, and include the following:
- Written comment from all neighbouring land owners and/or occupiers
- Details of the number and type of birds proposed to be kept
- A plan of the proposed enclosure, which indicates the dimensions and location in relation to dwellings
- Details of a management plan to be employed by the applicant to contain any potential nuisance or health risk
- Acknowledgment in writing that the applicant understands that the City may cancel an exemption should the City be of the opinion that such cancellation is warranted
- Acknowledgment in writing that the applicant will comply with any terms or conditions the City may impose relating to an approval or exemption.
The application fee for approval to keep poultry is $30.00.
The City of Rockingham Health Local Laws 1996 have a number of provisions relating to the keeping of specific animals, the number that can be kept and the manner in which they should be kept, in order to maintain good standards of public health. This means you cannot keep all animals in residential areas.
Your animals in an emergency
When an event such as a natural disaster affects your home it is important to understand your pets and/or animals may be frightened and may act in a manner that could cause harm to themselves and others.