Access and inclusion
Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2016-2019
In line with the requirements of the Western Australian Disability Services Act 1993, the City of Rockingham has a Disability Access and Inclusion Plan (DAIP). This plan outlines the actions the City will take to achieve the following seven key outcomes expressed in the Act:
1. People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to access the services of, and any events organised by, the City.
2. People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to access the buildings and other facilities of the City.
3. People with disability receive information from the City in a format that will enable them to access the information as readily as other people are able to access it.
4. People with disability receive the same level and quality of service from the staff of the City as other people receive from the staff of the City.
5. People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to make complaints to the City.
6. People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to participate in any public consultation by the City.
7. People with disability have the same opportunities as other people to obtain and maintain employment with the City.
Implementation of the DAIP involves contributions from a number of teams across the City of Rockingham. This work is supported by the Disability Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee, which consists of community representatives and elected members.
The City regularly monitors progress of the actions outlined in the DAIP to ensure they are being implemented. Outcomes are reported to the Disability Services Commission annually. This progress is also reported in the City’s Annual Report.
The City of Rockingham welcomes feedback from the community on access and inclusion issues. If you have any ideas of possible improvements to buildings, facilities and services to allow people with disability easier access, please contact the City on 9528 0333 or email email@example.com.
The current DAIP for the City of Rockingham covers the period 2016-2019 and can be accessed electronically from the link below. To access the document in alternative formats (large print/audio) please contact the City on 9528 0333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disability Access and Inclusion Strategy 2016-2019
The Disability Access and Inclusion Strategy 2016-2019 (DAIS) outlines the key actions to be implemented by the City in order to achieve its vision of “an inclusive community that enables people with disability to fulfill their potential as equal citizens”.
The DAIS is an overarching strategy for the City and should be read in conjunction with the DAIP, which is described in the section above. The DAIS identifies broader strategic aspirations regarding disability access and inclusion for our community, while the DAIP addresses the City’s legislative responsibilities. Both documents are based on the fundamental values of respect and dignity for all.
Disability access and inclusion is a complex and sensitive issue. This Strategy explores the relevant, multifaceted legislation, as well as the overarching context of disability, before exploring local issues as identified through consultation with internal and external stakeholders. The City has determined that it will take a leadership role in a number of areas to create a more accessible and inclusive community and has primarily determined that “accessibility of the City’s infrastructure and spaces is the key to community inclusiveness”.
Actions are recommended for implementation under the following Key Elements:
1. Accessibility of City infrastructure and spaces.
• Addressing both future and existing buildings and reserves (and surrounds)
• An Audit and Improvement Program for select existing buildings and reserves (and surrounds)
• Mapping and promotion of infrastructure and spaces.
2. Social inclusion.
• Communication and awareness.
• Programs and events.
3. Compliance and Organisational Improvements.
• Implementation of the Disability Access and Inclusion Plan (DAIP).
• Organisational improvements.
• Evaluation and review of both the DAIS and DAIP.
The DAIS can be accessed electronically from the link below. To access the document in alternative formats (large print/audio) please contact Customer Services on 9528 0333 or email email@example.com.