Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation - Stage 1
Frequently Asked Questions
The City of Rockingham has developed a Frequently Asked Questions information sheet to assist you with understanding the project and its potential impact.
Council endorsement of the detailed design
Council endorsed the Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation Stage One Detailed Design at the Council meeting on 22 August 2017. The endorsed design can be viewed in the table below.
In keeping with the amended budget, synergistic projects involving construction of sea defences and modification of road intersections have now been included in this project and their budget combined with the budget for the Foreshore project.
Construction for this project is expected to commence in June 2018.
In 2015 the City developed a Master Plan for the Rockingham Beach Foreshore. Through extensive community consultation, the Master Plan identified the following ambitions:
- Provide an innovative upgrade that retains the best elements of the existing foreshore
- Be focused on activation of these areas following construction
- Integrate foreshore businesses and the parks area into a seamless whole
- Provide reasons unique to the region, and Western Australia for people to want to visit the Rockingham Beach Foreshore
- Provide a high quality space and environment that residents of Rockingham can be proud of
- Incorporate a strong point of difference to other beachside developments, particularly in the region, but also across Australia and
- Bring to life the stories inherent in the local heritage through design of its elements. This includes Garden Island Naval Base, Rockingham’s maritime history, and local Waakal beliefs.
Detailed design of Stage One of the Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation project includes the following areas:
- Railway Terrace
- The Beach Plaza (Railway Terrace between Harrison Road and the beach)
- The Boardwalk (between Railway Terrace and Val Street Jetty)
back to top
The aims of Stage One of the Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation Project are to:
- Produce a detailed design for the development of a vibrant, well connected and pedestrian friendly foreshore
- Encourage visitors from within and outside of Rockingham to visit the foreshore
- Stimulate opportunities to support the local economy and business
- Create a place that is sensitive to the natural features and unique foreshore environment and its many uses.
The project is jointly funded by the Australian Government (via a National Stronger Regions Fund grant) and the City of Rockingham.
The indicative schedule is as follows:
- Detailed design: Completed
- Intersection of Kent Street, Railway Terrace, Parkin Street and Patterson Road: June 2018 - October 2018
- Boardwalk: June 2018 - December 2018
- Railway Terrace East: June 2018 - November 2018
- Railway Terrace West: February 2019 - July 2019
- Beach Plaza: February 2019 - September 2019
Response to concerns regarding parking on the foreshore
Consultation on the Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation has shown there are concerns regarding parking at the foreshore. The City is aware of the parking concerns and has spent considerable effort researching parking in the Foreshore precinct. The steps the City will be taking as a result are detailed in the Parking Strategy.
back to top
Virtual Tour - November 2017