Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation
In 2015 the City developed a Master Plan for the Rockingham Beach Foreshore. Through extensive community consultation, the Master Plan identified the following ambitions:
- Provide an innovative upgrade that retains the best elements of the existing foreshore
- Be focused on activation of these areas following construction
- Integrate foreshore businesses and the parks area into a seamless whole
- Provide reasons unique to the region, and Western Australia for people to want to visit the Rockingham Beach Foreshore
- Provide a high quality space and environment that residents of Rockingham can be proud of
- Incorporate a strong point of difference to other beachside developments, particularly in the region, but also across Australia and
- Bring to life the stories inherent in the local heritage through design of its elements. This includes Garden Island Naval Base, Rockingham’s maritime history, and local Waakal beliefs.
Detailed design of Stage 1 of the Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation project includes the following areas:
- Railway Terrace
- The Beach Plaza (Railway Terrace between Harrison Road and the beach)
- The Boardwalk (between Railway Terrace and Val Street Jetty)
- Wanliss Street car park
The aims of Stage 1 of the Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation Project are to:
- Produce a detailed design for the development of a vibrant, well connected and pedestrian friendly foreshore
- Encourage visitors from within and outside of Rockingham to visit the foreshore
- Stimulate opportunities to support the local economy and business
- Create a place that is sensitive to the natural features and unique foreshore environment and its many uses.
back to top
The project is jointly funded by the Australian Government (via a National Stronger Regions Fund grant) and the City of Rockingham.
The indicative schedule is as follows:
Completion of detailed design: January 2017
Construction of Wanliss St. car park: April 2017 – October 2017
Construction of the Boardwalk and Beach Plaza: April 2018 – December 2018
Construction of Railway Terrace: April 2019 – October 2019.
Response to concerns regarding parking on the foreshore
Consultation on the Rockingham Beach Foreshore Revitalisation has shown there are concerns regarding parking at the foreshore. These concerns were considered and addressed within the Master Plan. Part of the solution involves the increase in capacity of the Wanliss Street car park. The City is aware of the parking concerns, and will be undertaking a review of parking prior to starting construction on the Beach Plaza.
Rockingham Strategic Metropolitan Parking Strategy
The City of Rockingham Strategic Community Plan 2015 – 2025 contains an action that a ‘Public Parking Strategy’ be prepared to assist in the ‘planning for increased parking space in the City Centre and Waterfront Village’.
The strategy has funding in the 2016/2017 budget and is expected to commence in 2016.
The purpose of the strategy is to examine the existing pubic parking trends, and the framework that governs parking, to determine what needs to happen to improve efficiency.
As part of the Parking Strategy, public parking at Rockingham Beach will be assessed for its adequacy which will take into consideration the changes being brought about by implementation of the Foreshore Master Plan.
back to top