Across Australia approximately 3,800 batonbearers are needed to share the dream of the ‘friendly Games’ as part of the QBR.
A community nomination program will offer the people of the City of Rockingham and the surrounding region an opportunity to carry the Baton. Batonbearers are people of all abilities who inspire others to be great and will represent our community with pride.
Setting off in Australia on 25 December 2017, the Baton will travel for 100 days to connect with as many people as possible in every state and territory.
The Queen’s Baton carries a message from Her Majesty The Queen through the entire Commonwealth. The Games are declared officially open when the message is read aloud.
In just eight days the Baton will start its global journey at Buckingham Palace on Commonwealth Day, Monday 13 March. It will travel through every Commonwealth nation and territory on its way to Australia.
“We’re delighted to be a part of an event that will take the beautiful City of Rockingham to the world”, said Mayor Barry Sammels.
“The Queen’s Baton Relay is a rare opportunity to shine a light on the people and places that help make our City such a wonderful place to live. This prestigious event will connect Rockingham with communities across Australia and the entire Commonwealth. I encourage you to nominate a local legend you think deserves to be a batonbearer, whether they’re an aspiring young person or someone who is already accomplished.”
Anyone can nominate a person who inspires them to be great. Nominations can be made until 15 May 2017.
GC2018 are looking for people who:
• Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
• Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
• Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
• Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community
• Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
• Are an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).
“The Queen’s Baton Relay is a tradition that celebrates community pride and shows us how important sport is in building our great community”, said Mayor Sammels. “We’re very excited that the City of Rockingham will play an important part in the largest multi-sport event to be staged in Australia in a decade.”